Terengganu win east coast battle in 100PLUS Razak Cup final
Posted on 22 October 2012
TERENGGANU made history as they took home the 100PLUS Razak Cup title for the first time after defeating Pahang 3-0 in the Division One final today.

The 50th Razak Cup final was dominated by the Saari brothers as Terengganu became the first east coast side to win the prestigious trophy. Terengganu got off to a flying start as they took the lead in the first minute through Muhammad Firhan Ashari.

Firhan had a tap in which was gifted to him after some brilliant work from Faizal Saari, who beat two players before squaring the ball back for Firhan to finish.

Terengganu continued to press forward and in the 15th minute hitman Faizal Saari once again worked his way into the circle and unleashed a fierce shot which went inches wide.

That was probably Pahang’s wakeup call as five minutes later they earned their first short corner of the game but a brilliant save from Muhammad Hafizuddin kept Terengganu in the lead.

In the 23rd minute Ismail Abu slotted the ball home off a penalty corner rebound for Pahang but his effort was controversially disallowed by the umpire. Pahang carried on with the momentum and with ten seconds left before half time Ismail Abu was gifted with an open goal after some great work from Hairul Nizam Abdul Rani but his shot sailed over the bar.

Terengganu came back from the break more confident and in the 41st minute the Saari brothers Fitri and Faizal combined to give the east coast team a comfortable lead.

Fitri, who was pulling the strings in midfield, found his elder brother unmarked in the circle and Faizal beat Kahirul Nizam Ibrahim from a tight angle.

Nine minutes later Terengganu made it 3-0 and yet again it was Fitri Saari who turned provider this time for Muhammad Shafiq Nordin, who easily deflected home from close range after some brilliant work from the midfielder.

Terengganu 3 (Muhammad Firhan Ashari 1st, Faizal Saari 41st, Muhammad Shafiq Nordin 50th)
Pahang 0

«  Back